Glycation is a natural chemical process within the body. Advanced glycation is commonly called AGEs. AGEs are formed inside the body when protein of fats combine with sugars. When insulin doesn’t metabolize the sugars properly the sugar molecules bind to the proteins like collagen and elastin and therefore destroying its function and preventing the skin from remaining smooth and firm.
Unfortunately our proteins that keep our youthful appearance by keeping our skin plump and glowing, such as elastin and collagen, are also most prone to glycation. The disturbance to the skin’s support system can also contribute to further skin complications such as thinning, discoloration and increase the risk to skin rashes and skin infections. It can further develop diseases such as diabetes, kidney diseases and Alzheimer’s disease.
What foods are AGEs rich?
Foods that are derived from animals and are high in fats and protein, in particular red meats and also cheeses. These foods are prone to AGE formation due to the cooking process. Meats such as fish, chicken eggs and legumes contain less. Carbohydrate rich foods such as fruits, whole grains, vegetables and milk are fairly low in AGEs, even after cooking. When eating meats try to keep to around 100 grams per serving. Other foods such as rice, oatmeal and grains are low in AGEs.
What can I do to reduce my AGEs?
- Choose healthier cooking methods … this is the most effective way to reduce AGEs.
- Try and limit foods that have a high AGEs content… Processed foods and fried foods contain higher levels of AGEs.
- Include healthy foods in your diet such as legumes, whole grains and foods high in anti oxidants such as blueberries.
- Maintain a healthy and active lifestyle… If you are unsure where to start, even a daily brisk walk is a great way to kick start a more active lifestyle.
- Active skin care products that help fight glycation and free radical elements. Serums such as Vitamin A, B and C will help your skin fight ageing signs.
If you are unsure where to start with your skin care routine, please call us on 07 5539 9534 to book a complimentary skin analysis.